Department of Water Supply and Sewerage (DWSS) is under the Ministry of water supply and sanitation, Government of Nepal which was established in 1972. This Department is solely responsible for managing water and sanitation services throughout the country. DWSS has a nationwide network to provide water and sanitation service in urban, semi-urban and rural areas. DWSS is acting as the lead government department to achieve the following objectives:
provide and ensure safe, convenient and adequate drinking water with sanitation as an integral component, and
reduce the incidence of water-related diseases prevalent in the country.
Society of Public Health Engineers, Nepal (SOPHEN)
Society of Public Health Engineers, Nepal (SOPHEN) is an open, dynamic and independent non-governmental organization, established in 1990 under existing law of Nepal with objectives of advocating safe and adequate drinking water, and sanitation. Main objectives of SOPHEN are:
- advocate water supply and sanitation services delivery for all people
- help ensure good governance in water supply and sanitation utilities
- advocate standard quality drinking water supply
- raise consumer awareness on drinking water and sanitation rights and their responsibilities
- help enhance indigenous knowledge of water resource management and sanitation practices
- collaborate with national and international organizations having similar objectives and
- organize the national and international conference, seminar and workshop for knowledge sharing and partnership
Nepal Engineers’ Association (NEA) is an independent, nonprofit organization of Nepalese engineers, registered under the Social Service Act of the Government of Nepal. It was established in 1962. Today, NEA has 19,792 members belonging to various engineering disciplines including architects, civil, electrical, mechanical, electronic, chemical, industrial etc. NEA is governed by an elected executive council of 15 members led by the President has two years tenure. NEA basically works to establish the rights of its members, promoting fellowship goodwill and cooperation assistance among the Nepalese engineers. NEA helps promote the development of science and technology, advising to Government institutions on technical issues, professional development, and encourage providing better technical services etc.
Recently NEA has established Centers for Continuous Engineering Education (NEACCEE) and the Business Incubation Center (NEABIC) for professional enhancement and to promote entrepreneurship capabilities among the young engineers. NEA has conducted several national and international conferences successfully.