Society of Public Health Engineers, Nepal (SOPHEN) is an independent nonprofit professional organization, registered under the Social Welfare Act 2049 of Government of Nepal. SOPHEN was established in 1990 (2047 B.S) with main objective of capacity building of WASH sector professionals and support Government for enhanced WASH services through workshop, seminar, training and dialogue. SOPHEN, in collaboration with government, national and international professional organizations conducts training and seminars on issues such as: Columbus policy design, implementation and governance, economic and financial sustainability. SOPHEN is governed by an elected executive committee of 11 members, led by the President for tenure of two years. SOPHEN’s mandates include capacity enhancement of members, safeguarding their rights and interest, and promoting of research and technology.
“To be the leading Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Professional Organization in Nepal empowering people, protecting public health and help enhancing sustainable development.”
To support Government in water, sanitation, hygiene and environmental services through outcome based innovative and creative services. Assist in institutional and organization development support, capacity building, research and knowledge management that meets public expectations. Moreover, try to bridge the gap between the community and service providers through education, training, seminars and dialogues. Help the professionals and stakeholders in planning, designing, implementation, operation and management of WASH programs on a sustainable basis.
Collaborating and partnering with governmental/non governmental organizations, national and international professional organizations, academia, sector professionals, researchers, local communities and political leaders. Undertaking research, engaging policy spaces, and strengthening institutional capacity
- To advocate safe, affordable and adequate drinking water, total sanitation for all,
- To help ensure good governance in water supply and sanitation sector,
- To collaborate with national and international professional organizations,
- To organize national and international conference, seminar and workshop for knowledge sharing and partnership,
- To assist conserve and enhance indigenous knowledge of WASH management practices
- To increase WASH awareness among urban and rural communities,
- To protect professional rights and enhance professional development,
- To support government in formulating and implementing policies and strategies, and
- To conduct and support WASH research and programs.
- Organized half day workshop on "Smart Water Management" on 21st Feb,2019 at Hotel Yellow Pagoda.
- Initiated bi-monthly talk program on WASH issue for sustainable WASH solution on 8th Feb,2019.
- Launched "SATO Pan Distribution Campaign" at Mustang district to observe 28th SOPHEN Day, on 8th Jam,2019.
- Workshops completed on "Faecal Sludge Management Institutional and Regulatory Framework" in seven provinces dated in 2018.
- Organized a half day seminar on "Toward Sustainable Sanitation for All" to celebrate World Toilet Day-2018 on 19th November,2018) at Lainchaur Banquet, Kathmandu.
- Organized half day talk program on "Nature for Water" to celebrate World Water Day on 22nd March 2018
- Publications of SOPHEN Technical Journal each world water day.
- Successfully completed International Conference on “Water, Environment and Climate Change: Knowledge Sharing and Partnership", 10-12 April, 2018 at Hotel Yak & Yeti, Durbarmarg, Kathmandu.
- Organized a half day Interaction program on "WASH in Federal Structure" on 14thJune, 2018) at Hotel Himalaya, Pulchowk, Lalitpur.
- Conducted "Capacity Building Traning for Municipal Engineers on Faecal Sludge Management(FSM)"from 2075/04/18 to 2075/05/02 (3rd to 18th August,2018).
- Workshop jointly organized by SOPHEN and Korean Smart Water on "Smart Water Management for Sustainable WASH in the Small Town of Nepal".
- Participated in the program organized by Municipal Association of Nepal (MuAN) by installing an exhibition stall.
- A national level workshop entitled “Dissemination Workshop on Faecal Sludge Management Institution and Regulatory Framework” was conducted and Conference Proceeding was launched by Rt. Hon. Minister Mr. Shakti Bahadur Basnet.
- One day Consultative Workshop Jointly organized by SOPHEN and Water Environment and Health (GIWEH), Switzerland on “Water Knowledge Hub".